The design and implementation of an Open Source animation tool.

May 16, 2009

Not Dead, But Resting

I haven't updated the site for more than a year because I've been too busy with other projects. I do intend to return to moing at some point in the future, however. In the interim I'll probably continue posting design ideas.

At this point, based on my experience with the immature state of FRP (Functional Reactive Programming), I'm not as sold on the idea of using Haskell for this project as I once was. Darcs has also basically failed as an SCM and the Haskell world is now migrating to git, so even if I continue with Haskell we will be switching SCMs.

One language I've been considering lately as an alternative to Haskell is ATS, a dependently-typed functional programming language which achieves comparable performance to C++. I love the language's semantics, but the biggest thing holding me back at present is that I'm not a fan of the syntax. So, we shall see. Whilst moing development is in hibernation I'll be exploring various language alternatives.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just stumbled upon this project while looking for ways to work with animated SVGs, in Haskell no less.

Out of curiosity, what FRP approaches have you experimented with so far? Have you taken a look at Conal Elliott's recent work?

I don't know if you were serious, but I think using ATS for a project like this would be a mistake. It's an academic language with no user community and no library support. It's supposedly fast, but so what? Haskell isn't _that_ slow.

MenTaLguY said...

I had not seen Conal Elliot's most recent stuff -- it looks interesting.

The reason I'm considering ATS is that portions of Moing have to be realtime, and Haskell really isn't appropriate for realtime/system programming.

That doesn't mean the whole system would need to be written in ATS, of course. But I can at least consider it; unlike C, it's also suited to application development, and in and of itself, library support isn't a huge issue since you can use C libraries from ATS without *too* much difficulty.

Anyway, I had kind of given up on FRP for a while, so thanks for drawing my attention to the new work. I still really think they need to get together with the constraints people.